What on earth is DECIEM?
Known as “The Abnormal Beauty Company”, DECIEM is the parent company of The Ordinary, NIOD, Avestan, and other beauty brands, and is an industry disruptor with an innovation-focused approach. It was Co-Founded in 2013 by the late Brandon Truaxe, a visionary who set out to change the beauty industry through authenticity and transparency. He developed the company with creativity and innovation alongside Co-Founder and CEO, Nicola Kilner.
We are growing very rapidly and need someone who shares this vision and wants to grow with us!
What we are looking for.
We are growing very rapidly and are currently recruiting for a Senior Research and Development Chemist who shares this vision and wants to grow with us!
This role will be based out of our Toronto Head office.
What you would be doing.
- Plan and conduct research in advanced different cosmetic categories or systems
- Responsible for developing new and innovative formulas and re-engineering benchmark products, in different formulation systems, while using performance-based innovative technology and raw materials
- Evaluate technical issues (formula, making process, and filling) and provide science-based recommendations for corrective actions
- Collaboration with the process, technology transfer, and quality engineering teams on the pilot and first production batches of new formulae or processing technologies
- Identify and develop innovative and state-of-the-art technologies and formulations in the above categories
- Research and source the latest and most advanced breakthroughs in functional raw materials and skincare actives
- Formulate and prepare lab batches; evaluate texture, performance, and stability
- Organize and/or prepare lab batches for testing requirements outside of the R&D lab
- Assess and reformulate existing SKUs to meet the stability and performance expectations
- Research, source and evaluate new processing methods, equipment, and testing instruments and methodologies to support innovation
- Develop product specifications by evaluating physical/chemical properties of raw materials and formulations (viscosity, specific gravity, pH, etc.)
- Identify the method validations, safety, clinical research, and microbiology testing required during the formulation development phase and communicate with the relevant departments
- Transfer lab-scale production to Pilot and manufacturing scale; support validation of manufacturing procedures
- Maintain compliance to all health and safety standards, SOPs, GMP, GLP, and regulatory requirements
- Ability to design and support Design of Experiments (DOEs)
- Research and maintain up to date knowledge/awareness of new raw materials, technologies, equipment, and trends in the cosmetic industry
- Anticipate and identify scaleup and commercialization issues for new products and formulations
- Troubleshoot existing products following a thorough analysis and set up a plan of action
- Apply creative and critical thinking, and take proactive steps in pursuing projects to completion
- Provide technical support to Production, Quality, and other scientific and non-scientific teams
- Cooperate and coordinate with other scientific and non-scientific departments to support the claims and achieve successful product launches
- Manage other R&D personnel, assigning/delegating tasks
- Measure performance of R&D personnel to meet company objectives
- Engage in supplier meetings and attend conferences, seminars, and conventions\
- Document all phases of the R&D process; prepare clear and concise status and summary reports on projects; provide timely updates to Project Management team
- Aid in screening candidates, interviewing and hiring new R&D personnel
- Prepare documentation for tax filings and grants
- Aid in patenting new Intellectual Property and Technology
- Work closely with QC/QA department with regards to product investigations
- Support other R&D functions, regulatory, clinical research, and other departments
What skills and qualifications do you need?
- Strong technical knowledge of existing and latest developments in skincare formulation technologies, actives and functional raw materials
- Strong research skills and established networking with raw materials suppliers
- Practical knowledge of product behaviour and main stability issues in skincare formulations and the strategies to overcome them
- Good understanding of skin and hair physiology
- Working knowledge of GLP and GMP guidelines, and regulatory requirements applicable to the skincare and cosmetic industry
- Proven experience with scaleup, Pilot, and commercialization of skin care formulations
- Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills, self-motivated, highly organized, detail-oriented, and with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Good computer skills with Microsoft applications
- Ability to troubleshoot with excellent problem-solving skills
- Organized with good time management
- Good documentation practices
- Adaptive and flexible
- Experience with formulation software, especially Coptis, is preferred but not mandatory
- Minimum 8-10 years of formulation experience in an innovative skincare environment
- Relevant education in Cosmetic Science, Chemistry or related field or equivalent work experience is an asset
Still interested? ...What happens next?
Kindly send us your resume. We really appreciate your effort in applying for this position. However, only those candidates will be contacted who have been shortlisted for interviews.
And the serious stuff:
DECIEM is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination based on age, colour, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other legally protected class in accordance with applicable federal, provincial and local laws. We are also committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible workplace. If you are contacted to be part of our recruitment process and require accommodation during it, please let us know.